Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Doyer Stadium

Alright as many might recognize I have moved my blog over to blogspot as it is easier to manipulate.

I appreciate your free parking requests and I will get to them all in due time. It appears that many of my faithful readers will be going to the doyers tomorrow and who really wants to pay $15 to park somewhere where you can't get out when the game is over. So lets break down Chavez Ravine:
I have personally used all of these spots and have learned some of the hard lessons for you. Lesson No. 1 is do not park in the parking lots on Stadium Way north of Academy for a night game. I did this on one occasion and came back at 10:30 p.m. to find my little 1989 BMW convertible locked in the park parking lot. I wanted to go ahead and sleep there, but Anneli heckled my manhood to the point that I turned the lights off drove on the grass through the park while swerving to avoid trees and jumped the car over the sidewalk and curb onto Stadium Way. Suffice it to say the traffic leaving the game on Stadium Way looked like they had just seen a UFO.
The best free spot is on Academy Drive right outside the northeast entrance to the stadium, but these spots are often gone, however this is generally where I start, because on that rare occasion when you get a spot it feels so good to walk an extra 50 feet from the people who just dropped 4 dodger dogs on parking.
A solid backup is Lilac Terrace and there are almost always spots, however on busy games you may end up almost on Lookout Drive which can be a bit sketchy it reminds me of the movie Training Day.
Stadium Way between Academy and Eleysian Park often has spots and it is a busier street so you can feel more secure.
Boylston St. has some good spots, the closer to Stadium Way the shorter your walk. If all else fails (ie the Police Concert with 65,000+ fans) you can proceed to the top of Boylston Street and hike down to Academy Drive the walk back up really sucks as it is a steep hill, but I have never not gotten a spot on Boylston if you are willing to go to the top. Also on the map you will see a short dead end off of Boylston, if you walk to the end of the dead end you will have a beautiful panoramic view of downtown L.A.
A bit of advice, this is Echo Park and if you don't have street cred such as myself try not to look to white or you are putting a target on your car saying please remove my CD player as soon as I leave.
I hope many can use this tomorrow and at future events as we need to send a message to the McCourts that we are not cool with the 75% increase in ticket prices, the 50% increase in parking and the insane food prices.


2 comments:

Anneli said...

So Jono conveniently left out some parts of his curb hoping story. Jono actually wanted to sit there until about 1:00 until all the "coppers" were gone and then try to head out. His thoughts were that we would be blend in at one in the morning than at 11:00 at night when there were 60,000 people and cars around. Second, the sidewalk curb looked like it had been jumped before, it was maybe 4 inches. Third, Jono left out how many people he told this story. He called everyone he knew to tell them about the fearless jump he just took and told everyone at church the next day about it as well. In fact, I’m sure most of you have already heard this story from him. Lastly, no one noticed a thing. This is LA do you really think this is the first time people have seen a car drive over a curb into oncoming traffic, that’s a Tuesday in this town. My guess is that this will be my job on this blog, see what Jono wrote and then tell the real story……

Laura said...

anneli - thanks for keeping the story straight, although i suspect you are ruining jono's blog.

jono, too little too late on the stadium parking, buddy. geez, one morning of forgetting my daily jono blog check and i missed out on vital info.